Voting

Dates

Report to the MTC ----------- Feb. 10th 2010 12:45 PM

Departure Date ---------------Mar. 2nd to Guatemala CCM

Entered Field------------------Apr. 13th to Chiquilaja

First Baptism------------------May 1st, 2010


Counters


Countup Clocks, Fun Countups at WishAFriend.com

Monday, October 3, 2011

October 3, 2011

Dear Mom and Family,

About all we´ve been able to do so far is work with inactive members. We talked with the bishop on Friday about the 15 names we needed and we got them. There are about 4 families he gave us, one of which we are already working with. We also mentioned the keys and he told us that he understood and is going to get some to the Mission Leader.

One family (familia Martinez) is a senior couple. The wife (Alma) has a strong desire to come to church and be active and has helped us a lot with another friend of hers (Margarita) who is also less active. The problem is the Husband (Rolando). He is less active for several reasons. One of the biggest reasons he blames on the leaders of the ward. He says that they don´t show love and kindness nor do they show their Christlike character outside of the church. He judges them and says that it´s better to be inactive and living a Christlike life than to go to church and then to "not even greet people they know in the street". We tried to teach about the importance of going to church and in the conversation he said that those who are inactive have a better, clearer view of things than those who just go to church to go to church. At that time I could not stand any more apostasy and I just blatantly responded "That´s not what Christ teaches in the Book of Mormon." It was silent for a few seconds and then I decided to explain myself. I opened up to 3 Nephi 18 and we read 1-12 and then I explained why we go to church, to take of the sacrament. Then I reiterated that Jesus taught them that it was his commandment that they always do it and how we promise to carry His name and that He promises the spirit. Then I read verse 25 and explained that Jesus taught that nobody should be denied nor deny themselves that privilege and that those who did were more easily swayed by temptation. He paused, then, as he always does when we confront him about coming to church, he tried to make a joke out of things and said, "yes but I always have the spirit with me." At that point I just gave up. I thought, "I can´t make this any clearer for you. You´re contradicting Jesus Christ himself." but I didn´t have the heart to say that at the time. I felt it wouldn´t do any good. I just smiled, closed my scriptures and put them away. There was a little bit more small talk and religious jokes from Rolando and then we left.

The other family we´ve focused on went much better. We´ve been teaching the parents of a young single adult named Deisy. All of them are converts but her parents haven´t gone to church for quite a while. Her grandfather who lived with them just recently passed away and then we came in and started teaching them little by little with family night activities. We taught about the gospel. We went in depth on faith, touched on the repentance process, the baptismal covenant, and explained the purpose for going to church. We shared the same scripture of 3 NE 18. Yesterday we got a text from Deisy:
"Hola Elderes!! Hoy en la mañana me acompañaron mis papas a la conferencia, estoy muy agradecida con mi Padre Celestial y con ustedes por lo que hacen por mi familia. Que el Padre Celestial les bendiga. Att Yo"

I am so grateful for these experiences that I´ve been able to have in my mission. Even with the disappointing ones, I can feel the spirit acting through me as a voice of warning.

I haven´t mentioned this but I kind of have to now. The family that we live with here, when I got here, asked if I could help them fill out their petition papers for a visa. It was all in English and they couldn´t understand it. I did so for all 5 of them which was hard work, but it was worth it. A couple of months later they went to the embassy to have their interviews and it got accepted. They now have visas for 10 years and they are planning on spending Christmas and New Years up there in Los Angeles. They also are planning now to go visit Utah for a few days to see the historical sites and the lights at Temple Square. The only problem is they don´t really have a place to stay or anyone to show them around. I thought that it would be kind of fun for you guys to have them stay in the trailer there and be able to meet a Guatemalan family that gave me housing for at least 3 months. The only thing is, I don´t even know if you still have the trailer... Anyway, I thought I´d mention it and see your response. It would be really awkward at first probably with the language barrier but... What do you think?

As far as my birthday... Just deposit money I think.

Thanks, I love you!

Elder Landon James Crapo

No comments:

Post a Comment